Each week, Real Sustainable Habits highlights a tasty and unique, yet low-cost and easy to prepare vegetarian recipe. We post it on Friday so that you’ll have ample time over the weekend to gather the ingredients in preparation for Meatless Monday. One mission of Real Sustainable Habits is to help people who want to adopt a plant-centered, vegetarian, or vegan diet make that transition. Cutting out all meat one day each week is a great starting point for beginners.
This Week’s Recipe: Tofu and Black Bean Scramble
Tofu Scramble is one of our favorite breakfast meals because it’s very filling, a great source of protein to start your day, and can be made a variety of different ways. For this recipe, we’ll use an extra firm block of tofu, black beans, green peppers, corn, onions, and Mexican spices.
First, let’s gather our kitchen utensils:
- 2 Medium Skillets
- Potato Masher
Let’s cover the ingredients you’ll need:
- 1 block Extra Firm Tofu
- 1 Onion, diced
- 3 cups Black Beans
- 2 Green Peppers, diced
- 2 cups Corn
- 1 Garlic Clove, crushed
- 4 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons Chili Powder
- 2 tablespoons Curry Powder
- 1 tablespoon Ground Cumin
- 2 teaspoons Salt, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons Pepper, or to taste
Let’s step through how to make Tofu and Black Bean Scramble:
- In a medium skillet, mash the tofu with a potato masher. Stir in 2 tablespoons of olive oil and the curry powder and saute for 5 minutes or until the tofu starts to brown.
- In the other skillet, saute the onion, garlic, green peppers, and corn in the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil for 4 minutes.
- Add the tofu, black beans, chili powder, ground cumin, salt and pepper to the vegetables. Mix thoroughly and let cook for 5 minutes.
And that’s how you make Tofu and Black Bean Scramble! Happy eating!
Let us know in the comments how yours turned out!
- Paddle Boarding is a Cheap and Healthy Activity February 11, 2015
- Foam Rollers Are a Great Investment for your Health February 4, 2015
- Why Extreme Sports are a Great way to Exercise January 22, 2015
- Why All the Meat I Eat Comes from Hunting October 27, 2014
- Oral Hygiene and Water Flossers September 11, 2014
Achieve Goals Baked Macaroni and Cheese Bean Pate Bike Vs Car Biking breathing exercises Broccoli Stir-fry Bun Chay Consume Cooking Dried Beans credit Credit Cards Crock Pot Dhal Soup Dryerless Eggless Chocolate Cup Cakes Eggless Desert Exercise Financial Independence Hypothetical Imperative insomnia Italian Bean Crock Pot Bean Stew Meatless Monday Meatless Monday Series Meatless Monday Special meditation Ooma P90X Pay off Debt Phone Savings Pizza Save Money Savings Set Goals stretching Telephone Tips Tortilla Pizza train travel Vegetable Bake Vegetable Casserole Vegetable Lasagna Vegetable Quesadillas Vegetarian Sloppy Joes Work
- Cooking Dried Beans: Cost Effective and Efficient? Really? June 27, 2012
- How to Ditch Your Car and Bike Everywhere July 25, 2012
- On Achieving Goals July 2, 2012
- Traveling by Train: Benefits and Tips August 15, 2012
- Welcoming a New Life Into the World January 20, 2013